The School Library is constantly evolving to support ever-changing educational needs. Special furniture defines the learning and knowledge spaces. The generous support of our Executive Staff and the P&C enables us to procure the latest relevant reading material carefully selected that appeal to boys and enhance their literacy and numeracy skills.
Ms Joy Jones: Teacher-Librarian
Mr Benjamin Corby: Teacher-Librarian (Mon)
Ms Debbie Dimova: School Assistant: Library
The Library Team looks forward to an exciting and literacy rich year.
Library Learning Spaces
The senior individual private study cave is reserved for boys in Years 11 & 12. It is a silent area to allow students to work without disturbance.
The dynamic flexible learning space accommodates one or two classes for project-based learning, research units or special functions. This learning space flows into a digital forum designed for personal device use and varying group projects or collaborative learning.
The organic reading space offers a wide range of seating arrangements including ottomans, sombreros, tables and chairs. It is a space in which boys can relax and enjoy reading for pleasure.
Le Galerie is located in the lower area of the Library. It houses student art works and the connected classroom.
School archives are held in a separate, secure room. Old boys regularly communicate with Library Staff to access the wide range of records, achievements and memorabilia from the mid-1940s to present. This material, along with VHS recordings are currently being converted to digital format.
The library has a wide range of print and digital resources. The complete collection is accessible via the Student Portal. A browsing list and 'Oliver' search is available on the home page. All Year 7 students will receive further instruction on Library access including an online encyclopaedia and a phone app for eBooks and audio books.
The Library has extensive collections of:
- Reference materials including encyclopaedias, dictionaries, thesauri, atlases etc.
- General reference print and electronic
- Fiction and non-fiction
- Senior fiction for reading pleasure
- Senior non-fiction selected to support HSC curriculum
- Closed Reserve of HSC Past papers and study guides
- Visual Literacy including graphic novels, picture books and highly illustrated books
Loans, renewals and returns
Classes in all years are always welcome in the Library with their teacher. All library-based research follows the six-step information skills process. By investing in a thorough research process, the result is a quality final assignment. Library staff members are willing to assist all students to improve their research skills and enhance their assignment or assessment task.
Year 7 students attend one lesson each cycle with the Teacher-Librarian refining their skills in Information Literacy. The program covers information management both in the Library and in general and is based on critical literacy and numeracy skills. There is also time for wide reading and borrowing.
NSW Premier's Reading Challenge
All Years 7 and 8 students attend the Library once every cycle. They are offered an opportunity to read widely and be involed with the NSW Premier's Reading Challenge. Ms Helen Lepre works closely with us to facilitate this program and last year 75 students completed the challenge and many more made a stellar effort.
More information about the Premier's Reading Challenge can be found here.
- Via Student Portal – My School Library – OLIVER home page – search for books by title, author, subject or series. There is an eBook icon beside each eBook
- Via Student Portal – My School Library – OLIVER home page – direct link to World Book encyclopaedia online or
- Via search engine – www.worldbookonline.com - (user name: ballyboys – password: library)
- Via Student Portal - eBooks and audiobooks – https://bbcnsw.wheelers.co/ or
- Download an ePlatform app from your app store, log in using school ID and read anytime, anywhere on your own device.
8.3am – 3.20pm (Every day)
Other times by negotiation
8.30am – 9am
1pm – 1.40pm (except Wednesday)
Other times with class teacher
Library closed Wednesday and Friday at recess for Staff Meetings